At 3Degrees, we are united by the belief that a business can be an engine of change, and its people can make a great difference. While many businesses vie to be the best in the world, we focus on being the best for the world. This is the foundation of what it means to be a Certified B Corporation.
We are thrilled to announce that 3Degrees has been named Best for the World 2022 by B Lab in recognition of our impact and commitment to the environment. “Best for the World” is a distinction granted by the independent and international organization B Lab, to Certified B Corporations (B Corps) whose verified B Impact Scores rank in the top 5% of all B Corps in their corresponding size group. This distinction is incredibly meaningful to us, especially having recently celebrated our 10 year anniversary as a B Corp. This is a wonderful community, and we’d like to share a bit more about what it means for 3Degrees to be recognized as Best for the World.
Our commitment to the environment drives our corporate action
We’re proud to have earned this distinction for our impact on the environment, because as a climate solutions company, protecting the environment is at the core of why we exist: our mission is to help businesses and their customers take urgent action on climate change. And we don’t just help others achieve their climate goals, we have also made a strong climate commitment of our own. As part of B Corp’s Climate Collective, 3Degrees is committed to achieving Net Zero by 2030. For the past several years, the experts on our climate consulting team have been working diligently to measure and track the company’s greenhouse gas (GHG) footprint, and detail specific actions we need to take to ensure we reach our 2030 goal.
Some of our commitments and actions have included:
- Purchased water restoration credits to account for all water usage in offices and remote offices;
- Calculated and matched all office and remote work energy consumption and matched it with renewable energy credits (RECs);
- Calculated scope 1, 2, & 3 carbon emissions and matched with carbon credits from a high-impact project selected by an all-staff vote: BioLite’s Improved Stove Programme in Uganda.
Our people lead our climate action
3Degrees being named Best For The World is only possible through the passion of the people on our team. Part of our culture as a B Corp is embracing collaborative work, and everyone has a voice. Business Resource Groups (BRGs) are employee-run committees dedicated to internal and external initiatives that align with our mission. Our B Corp BRG is the backbone of our commitment to B Corp values, leading the charge on our B Impact Assessment, helping employees engage with the B Corp community, and supporting 3Degrees in becoming an even better company.
“We’re excited to be recognized as Best for the World for the Environment in 2022. It shows that the efforts we’re making to take action on climate change are high-caliber and high-impact. As part of the B Corp BRG, we get to elevate and highlight the work of all the great people at 3Degrees, and continue to improve our impact on the environment and use our business as a force for good.”
– Kathleen Nickerson, B Corp BRG Co-Chair
Additionally, 3Degrees’ other BRGs – including those focused on sustainability and charitable giving – contribute to enabling our employees to advance their personal climate activism. A few examples include:
- Employee education and engagement around our corporate carbon footprint and net zero plans, facilitating a holistic view of sustainability and increased transparency;
- Staff discussions on climate-related topics, such as: tools for coping with climate anxiety, intersectional environmentalism, youth and the climate conversation, and building better bee gardens;
- Offering employees the choice to opt to plant trees in place of receiving “swag” or gifts and matching a portion of what was spent in paper printing with a donation to National Forest Foundation (to date, we’ve planted nearly 5,000 trees through these programs);
- Employee-directed donations to environmentally focused nonprofits.
Being named Best for World and sharing the distinction with other outstanding members of the B Corp community reminds us that we are part of a larger picture to turn the tide on climate change, and every action counts. We’re proud to be a part of the solution.