Trusted, proven transaction expertise
Renewable energy power purchase agreements (PPAs) and virtual power purchase agreements (VPPAs) enable organizations to make big strides in meeting their carbon reduction and renewable energy goals and, importantly, drive the transition to a low-carbon economy.
3Degrees works with our clients to develop optimized renewable energy transaction strategies and execute value-aligned contracts. “Value” is decided by each client and may include impact, cost, additionality, location, and/or risk profile. Our team has deep experience in all sides of the transaction, including wind and solar development, wholesale energy markets, financing, contract negotiation, asset and contract management, green tariffs, and on-site and off-site renewables. This robust body of knowledge directly benefits our clients.
3Degrees provides end-to-end support for renewable energy transactions including developing procurement strategies, soliciting proposals and executing value-aligned contracts, and managing contracts post-execution.
Our process for supporting competitive procurement of renewable energy is built around providing tools, analysis, and expertise that supports our clients’ decision making and actions that will help them meet their goals.
3Degrees can provide end-to-end transaction support or assist with discrete steps in the procurement process.
BART, the largest energy user in Northern California, hired 3Degrees to assist with its renewable energy procurement efforts. 3Degrees provided comprehensive support starting with the creation and management of a competitive solicitation, performing deep qualitative and quantitative financial analysis including market-specific stress-testing and negotiating physical PPA contracts. BART made the unusual decision to select two projects and our team led contract negotiations for two PPAs in tandem for a 62 MW wind project and a 45 MW solar project, both located in California.
Read the case study >>
3Degrees is supporting Akamai Technologies in the creation and implementation of its global renewable energy strategy. As part of this work, we provided end-to-end support for a VPPA to source renewable energy from an 80 MW wind project in Texas. The project, which is slated to go online in 2018, will be used by Akamai to offset the energy use from their Texas cloud services operations, which are largely housed in co-location data centers. Read the case study >>
One client asked us to provide a second opinion on their first VPPA. We provided a financial evaluation of the proposed deal to assess the potential value of the contract. We also assessed the merits, benefits and risks of the proposed contract, including a detailed review of the VPPA terms and conditions. Our final report was an objective outlook that enabled the client to successfully execute a VPPA over 100 MW. Another corporate client asked for our help with quantitative analysis of proposed VPPAs. We utilized our comprehensive financial evaluation methodology on behalf of the client to clearly identify the best opportunities.
“3Degrees was instrumental in providing both in-depth quantitative analysis along with real-world expertise that allowed us to quickly zero in on the best opportunities for BART.”
What makes us different
- Creative approach: All of our work is tailored to ensure that our approach and recommendations meet each client’s particular needs.
- Proven experience: Combined, our team has over 2.5 gigawatts of renewable energy transactions experience with over 72 projects contracted globally including all major U.S. power markets.
- Fair, transparent pricing: We believe the best way to support renewable energy development is to provide complete information about our fee structure to both buyers and developers.
- Trusted partner: We build long-term relationships with our customers by offering consistently high-quality advice and execution. We highlight the good news and the hard truths, and we work with our clients to identify strategies which are likely to succeed in their unique context.
- Impartial advice: 3Degrees is privately held and not affiliated with a larger parent company, allowing us to provide impartial, solution-agnostic advice that is aimed solely at meeting our clients’ needs.