RNG certificates offer a fossil-free alternative for powering your business
With more organizations committing to long-term GHG reduction goals, efforts to address all sources of emissions are ramping up. While electrification, energy efficiency, and carbon offsets have been the primary options available to address emissions from natural gas, there is a growing demand for a new tool: renewable natural gas (RNG).
Though Greenhouse Gas Protocol has yet to initiate the development of guidance on RNG Certificate usage, leading voluntary standards such as CDP, The Climate Registry, and RE100, allow entities that purchase RNG certificates the ability to claim the environmental benefit of substituting RNG for conventional natural gas.
- Provides a claim to consuming biogas and the associated emissions profile under programs run by the California Air Resources Board, Environmental Protection Agency, CDP, The Climate Registry, RE100, and others
- Streamlines attribute purchase without changing current natural gas supply, through RNG certificates and one nationwide interconnected pipeline network
- Allows the ability to access lucrative Clean Fuel Standards credits when gas is used as transportation fuel.
- Reduces the carbon intensity of the national fuel mix and displaces fossil gas
Learn how Bioenergy Devco’s anaerobic digestion facility is generating RNG
Project Type: Anaerobic Digestion
Location: Jessup, Maryland
Tracking System: M-RETS Renewable Thermal
Carbon Intensity: -16 gCO2e / MJ
The 3Degrees Difference
HOW WE HELP
3Degrees works closely with organizations to develop a best-fit RNG strategy and sell supply from biogas facilities in our portfolio – weighing important factors such as price, geography, and co-benefits.
1. DEVELOP RNG STRATEGY
We help organizations match their gas consumption with RNG delivered to the common pipeline. We can integrate the emission benefits of RNG with other initiatives such as energy efficiency, electrification, and carbon credits.
2. DETERMINE AVAILABLE SUPPLY AND PURCHASE STRUCTURE
We weigh the options available to RNG purchasers, including geography, feedstock and associated co-benefits, price, generation period, and term. 3Degrees helps navigate these options and develop a solution that balances impact with financial requirements.
3. ASSURANCE OF ENVIRONMENTAL INTEGRITY
All RNG projects are put through due diligence to ensure they are credible and impactful and meet the emerging standards of the market. We manage project verification and tracking system registration and guarantee that proper contractual attestations are in place to ensure claims are real and not double-counted.
3Degrees sells high-quality RNG certificates that support economy-wide decarbonization.