Supporting emissions reduction projects to decarbonize industries
Climate change presents an urgent challenge to organizations across the globe. To meet this challenge, businesses are taking steps to decarbonize their operations in order to reduce their greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions. However, it is nearly impossible for even the most energy-efficient and sustainable organizations to completely avoid activities that result in emissions which negatively impact the environment. Through investing in carbon offset projects, 3Degrees helps businesses take immediate action on their scope 1 (direct) and scope 3 (indirect) GHG emissions that are otherwise difficult to address.
What is a Carbon Offset?
A carbon offset is a scientifically quantified reduction in greenhouse gas emissions created when one metric ton of greenhouse gas is captured, avoided, or destroyed in order to compensate for an equivalent emission made elsewhere. All offsets are subject to minimum eligibility criteria.
Carbon offset partners
The 3Degrees Difference
3Degrees is the leading North American carbon specialist with development capability and deep expertise managing voluntary offset projects. We offer unparalleled industry experience, as well as a diverse portfolio that offers clients the flexibility to support carbon offset projects that will directly meet their business, environmental, and communications goals, including those directly related to a buyer’s industry or supply chain.
3Degrees’ ability to develop unique emission reduction projects with a high level of environmental integrity made them a natural fit for us. Their depth of experience, analytical rigor, and creativity helped us craft a program that can change over time and as our needs evolve.
Our carbon neutral shipping initiative is a major milestone within our larger commitment to act urgently and aggressively in the fight against climate change. We are excited to partner with 3Degrees in order to support projects with a high level of environmental integrity that will evolve with our growing needs.
Common Project Types
Carbon Offset Project Criteria
- Additionality: Evidence that the project’s emission reductions would not have been achieved without carbon market incentives
- Quantification: Evidence that the emission reductions have been achieved using a rigorous and conservative quantification methodology
- Verification: Assurance of such evidence and quantification by an accredited third party verifier
- Registration: Issuance, tracking, and retirement on a third-party public registry
Beyond these minimum standards, offset purchasers may also consider additional criteria:
- Co-Benefits: Does the offset project provide other environmental or social benefits (e.g., local air pollutant reduction, water quality improvement, women’s empowerment, job creation, biodiversity, poverty reduction, etc.)?
- Project Participants: Who benefits from the sale of the offsets?
- Industry Connections: Is the project directly related to a buyer’s industry or supply chain?
We provide carbon offsets from projects that are third-party verified using internationally recognized standards that are managed and maintained by independent, not-for-profit organizations. Your organization’s carbon offset investment will produce impactful, measurable, and permanent results.
We work with all of the leading not-for-profit organizations, including:
CARBON OFFSET STANDARDS
EARN LEED POINTS
Interested in earning LEED points to achieve the LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) Green Power & Carbon Offset Credit? Our 3Degrees LEED-accredited experts can help. Learn more.